Sunday 15 June 2014

Some excellent feedback :)

Here's a copy and paste of some feedback from a 1:1 mountain skills week from a few weeks back:

I just got back from a fantastic 4 days of 1:1 private guiding in North Wales with James.

I wanted to learn as much as I could about climbing with ropes to move on from my bouldering background and to brush up on my navigation techniques. I hoped to come away being able to set up top ropes on single pitch climbs, not only did I learn this but also how to second and to lead myself. I now feel confident to go out and practice my leading on some really easy climbs. Highlights were leading my first climb and seconding James up grooved arĂȘte on Tryfan.

By incorporating some navigation training into each day on route to and from climbs helped to keep the subject in an applied context which was far more appealing to me.

James is an excellent and very adaptive teacher, prior to the trip we discussed my expectations and what I hoped to get out of the experience. At the beginning of each day we would discuss my goals and James always gave me a variety of options to help consolidate my climbing skills. During breaks and at the end of each day James would review everything I had learned to help cement the new skills in my memory. 

James really takes the time to explain everything he teaches; how to do it, why you do it and when to do it.

I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending Gibbon Adventures to anyone wanting to learn more about climbing/mountaineering. James is a really friendly guy with a wealth of experience in the field.

Roy Ibbotson. (2014 North Wales)

No comments:

Post a Comment